gnulinuxclub

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The Revolution . . . and us

Linux and GNU – a silent revolution that started in late 80s can as well be compared to the Russian Revolution by its audience. Youth, Students, and academicians have always partnered to create revolutions. I also got caught in this whirlwind sometime around 1999-2000 when I entered my engineering. I did many small projects and installing latest Linux packages and playing with shell commands became a sport. But as I moved into a management course circa 2003, I found a whole new dimension of this revolution.

While there were numerous students engaged in coding software in the open source spirit, hardly a few volunteers were engaged in marketing, publicity and commercial study of the movement. This was especially so in India – and so I decided to pursue this line in the Open Source movement. After all RMS’ ultimate objective is not to develop a cult but to propagate the benefits of Open Source to the industry and masses and to make them realise how and why this makes more sense than proprietary software.

But I found myself wandering aimlessly – writing an odd article in NITIE’s (my B-school) internal journal or just compiling data on viability of Open Source software model for my own sake. So when I saw a mail from Gaurav Masand in the little_league asking for volunteers to manage website publicity for a new GNU/Linux website, I grabbed the opportunity. My previous experience of creating the Online Business Simulation games event – MaatishK also gave me the necessary experience to take up the job – especially because I had insisted on use of Open Source technologies during development of MastishK.

Well, I should congratulate Gaurav for the initiative he has taken – and of course the other of my Team Mates who are doing a great work. I guess the project is going great and this blog is gonna be useful for coordinating between ourselves. As of now we are wokring on the following two sections
Welcome to the gnulinux club! [http://www.gnulinuxclub.org/]
Why gnulinuxclub? [http://www.gnulinuxclub.org/content/view/18/2/]

Looking forward to intro posts by others and then a barrage of posts and numerous links about sections in progress as the momentum on the site builds up.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Amimusa MANoU said…

    There is still some confussion about linux and gnu, since for the moment we can't talk about them as if they were different. In the future, when hurd will be release, maybe there will be gnu/hurd and gnu/linux. But as R. Stallmant told few days ago hurd is not right for the moment and we have linux, so it isn't a priority.
    A quick way to understand the confussion about gnu and linux thinking that linux is the kernel and gnu is the application software, so the system is called GNU/Linux.
    Also I would like to mention the difference between open source and free software. Mainly they are the same, but open source movement separated from free source movement because open source follows the practice application and forgets the ideology. Free sorce movement still persist searching for a real virtual free world for everybody.
    As idea it's great, but personally i don't see the real difference. I think that maybe it was because poeple who love free software didn't like Stallmant personality.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home